The Institute for Language Education in Transcultural Context (ILETC) along with the Office of Academic Initiatives and Strategic Innovation (AISI) invites language instructors to participate in two workshops.
Workshop 1: Modified OPI Assessment Workshop (MOPI)
This two-day workshop is focused on the Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) and introduces the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) rating scale, the structure of the OPI and techniques for administering and rating the OPI including its applications in the language classroom. Participants will observe and conduct live practice interviews at Novice and Intermediate proficiency levels. Participation in a MOPI Assessment Workshop is the first step toward becoming an ACTFL Certified OPI Tester with Limited Certification.
Workshop 2: Developing and Assessing Academic Reading Proficiency
This one-day workshop will address current research in foreign language reading proficiency with respect to the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Proficiency Guidelines 2012 – Reading. Questions that will be considered include:
- What is the role of reading in world language curricula?
- How does reading proficiency influence—and how is it influenced by—listening, speaking, and writing proficiency?
- How are academic reading requirements different from everyday reading requirements?
The workshop is comprised of three interrelated issues: text typology; defining comprehension tasks; and building a reading proficiency program that includes the development of formative and summative assessments for departments of languages and literatures in higher education. The ACTFL Reading Proficiency Test (RPT) will be introduced as an example of a valid and reliable summative assessment.
Both workshops will be conducted in English for a mixed-language group, and will be led by Dr. Cynthia Martin from the University of Maryland. Further details on both workshops including cost, dates, times, and how to register can be found on the drop-down menu below.
This program is offered by the CUNY Institute for Language Education in Transcultural Context, in partnership with the CUNY Graduate Center’s Office of Academic Initiatives and Strategic Innovation.
ACTFL Workshop: Modified OPI Assessment Workshop (MOPI)
- Instructors affiliated with CUNY: $50 non-refundable fee
- Non-CUNY instructors: $175 non-refundable fee
Workshop Meeting Information
Meetings will take place at The Graduate Center, CUNY on the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, January 21, 2020 9:00am – 6:00pm
- Wednesday, January 22, 2020 9:00am – 6:00pm
ACTFL Workshop: Developing and Assessing Academic Reading Proficiency
- Instructors affiliated with CUNY: $25 non-refundable fee
- Non-CUNY instructors: $75 non-refundable fee
Workshop Meeting Information
The workshop will take place at The Graduate Center, CUNY on the following date and time:
- Thursday, January 23, 2020 9:00am – 6:00pm